Sunday, June 6, 2010

WANTED: SQUASH VINE BORER


WANTED DEAD
SQUASH VINE BORER

A note from a garden buddy, thought I would share
since June is when this nasty critter lays it's eggs...


Hi, Mary Louise,
My modest squash crop has been wiped out by what I suspest are squash vine borers --- maddening! Emailed Sid who responded that he is having the same problem --- he suggests Liquid Sevin and/or Kay Pittman's organic tip of planting radishes around the squash (while I appreciate organic approaches, I am suspect about this one) --- am assuming you have some squash out there with all of your other bounty --- do you have any suggestions for me should I get around to re-planting??? I seem to recall having this problem every other time I have tried to grow squash, many years ago. Also remember Daddy dusting everything in sight with white powder when I was growing up - which I assume was Sevin - which probably explains a lot!!!
Help!


Here's what I know and gathered from the UGA website:

Symptoms:

** wilted plant, think you've not watered enough

** pin size hole at base, look for SVB scat

** happens to the best of us overnight

Strategy:

** remove section of vine affected and rid
yourself of those nasty worms(larvae)

** cover wounded section with moist soil
plant will heal and hopefully develop roots

** inspect your garden daily, look closely at leaves
and especially with squash, the base of
plant

Who is at risk?
Hubbard, zucchinni, pumpkins

The SVB is not as likely to bother with your
cucumbers or melons, whew.

Blessings from the Garden.
ML

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...