Thursday, January 21, 2010

Baking Lasagna

Sounds like I'm cooking, doesn't it?

It's true, I am cooking, but it's the garden that

is baking just in time for Spring. I read Pat Lanza's

Lasagna Garden and had to experiment with the concept.

It's perfect for people who like a "recipe" and carry

out the directions for "baking".

First, I measured a sunny spot in the garden. 4'x8'.

Next, I flattened cardboard boxes (thanks friends!) &

laid them out in my new garden spot. Completely

soaked the cardboard with water...

Notice, NO digging or tilling by this gardener,

just lay the cardboard on TOP of the ground!

The next steps are repetitive until your "lasagna"

is about 18-24" tall.

I spread a layer of peat moss over the cardboard,

then a 4" thick layer of chopped leaves(thanks

yard guys!), followed by more layers of peat moss,

composted manure(cheapat Lowe's), peat moss,

compost from personal pile,

peat moss, another layer of composted manure, peat

moss, some bonemeal & bloodmeal.

Get the picture? Like lasagna, the layers of noodles,

sauce, cheese, noodles, sauce, cheese!!!!!!!

Today, I am going to the fishing store to buy some

worms. I'll throw them in, cover the "lasagna" with

black plastic and let it bake til I am ready to plant

veggies in March!


Will report on developments.

Blessings from the Lasagna Garden.

ML

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...