Friday, May 21, 2010

Twine


There are several items I keep handy in the
garden. Twine is one of them, especially now
that growth is exponential.

The primary function of twine or jute during
spring/summer(in my garden) is to tie tomatoes to posts.
My toms have grown as high as 8 feet, so I just keep
tying the stems to the posts for upward persuasion.

Jute, which is actually a plant, is much heavier. I used
jute to tie the "teepee" posts together...Jute is too
harsh for the delicate tomato branches/stems.
Here(below) is another way I use twine. An upside down tomato
cage with twine working its way up the cage. My first blooming
sweet peas are appreciating the support! Next up will be
Blackeyed Susan vine. Topped off by small garden pot!

Also, the twine comes in handy to provide support for peas
& beans...Here are English peas growing rampant up a trellis
I concocted...

Buy some twine at your local garden store or big box
home store.

Well,I just counted 30 tomato plants in the Home garden! WOW.
I had 9 plants last year. A LOT of twine!

Blessings from the Garden.
ML


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...