Sunday, February 13, 2011

KickAss Gardening



 
I've been challenged with "reaching beyond the same old stuff" as far as my blog posts.

Last week's challenge by the Blogging Barista was "What powerful story can you share on your blog about a personal challenge you've overcome?"






The first thing that pops to mind occurred in high school. My junior year of high school was consumed with guys, parties, clothes and some studies. In addition, I was far from being an athlete, however, our PE teacher was engrossed in turning out winning girls teams. PE classes consisted of softball, volleyball and basketball----FAR from what I thought should be my physical education!


I failed PE that year.

Yes, I failed PE and was the only Senior the following year required to take PE because I rarely dressed out the previous year.

To my delight, I was blessed with a new PE teacher my senior year. Aerobics, light weights- "girly" stuff. Changed my life forever. I often wonder if I would be a lazy toad had she not entered my life.

What does all this have to do with gardening? Well, gardening is terrific exercise both for the mind and the body. Some report that you can burn up to 300 calories an hour depending on the type of activity.

Here is an easy "routine" for toning up your garden bod:

  • squats =  reaching down to pull weeds or dead material in garden
  • arms/back =   "working" the ground in spring with a shovel or hoe & pruning with long handled pruners
  • legs  =    taking yard debris to street, careful with the back when dragging limbs/containers

Spring is right around the corner so go out and work it!

Blessings from the Garden
ML
     


     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    What do you think?

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...