Friday, February 25, 2011

Nasturtiums

I've soaked 3 packets of nasturtium seeds and they are ready for planting.

Nasturtiums are my favorite flowering herb. Not sure if you can eat the roots, but for the most part, you can consume the entire plant. The large round wrinkly seeds are similar in taste to that of the herb Capers (also my maiden name!).

In Augusta and similar planting zones, you can plant nasturtiums in late summer and very early spring. Now is a great time for planting. I have one group peeking out of the ground after planting about a week ago. A bit of water and sun will drive the nasturtiums up quickly.

Order seeds online for a variety of color choices or pick up a couple of packets at your garden center. There are vine types too.

Before planting in containers or the ground, I prefer to soak the seeds in water over night. This speeds up the germination process. I plant nasturtiums in part sun. Last spring's planting lasted through the summer. Like most herbs, water when dry, provide adequate drainage, and give them some sun. Harvest the flowers and leaves in the morning or late evening when moisture content is at its peak.

The flowers have a delicate sweet scent, but definitely not over powering. I've not developed a "taste" for them. I suppose my appreciation for the lovely flower is too great.

Good Luck with your nasturtiums.
Blessings from the Garden.
ML

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ML-You are my hero! I have taken your gifts and done so much with them, and do so in the most graceful way possible. Love the nasturtiums. I had them in my garden in PA but they have never done well for me here. You have inspired me to try them again. Love your blog!! Anita

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...