Thursday, April 21, 2011

Me Bees in the Garden

Charles Phillips, a retired Extension Agent, delivered 2 "nucs" of bees to my house. It was my job to transfer the bees to one of my boxes and return Charles' empty boxes to him. I asked beekeeper Deborah Sasser of Sasserfrass Hill Bee Farm to assist me tonight as I've never made this switch before.

We began without smoking the bees which calms them, but after 4 stings, we decided to crank up the smoker! Deborah and I were able to complete the transfer of home bees to their new box, and I was given a list of items to prepare for honey production. 


They got me!

An exciting evening for me as I learn about these funny little insects who stung the hell out of my inner thighs...I'll be making a trip to Aiken, SC for the whole "bee-get-up"...soon!
See you.
ML

2 comments:

Kathy Fowler said...

Isnt there something about bee venom being good for your immune system? I know I have read that somewhere...you can report if your allergies improve!

Mary Louise said...

From what our pediatrician/beekeeper says, there are many good things about venom and honey. The venom helps with arthritis and joint aches. I've not done much research on it, but he has. Also, he sells the honey in his office. He has a hive set up right outside the office. Cool.

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...