Thursday, August 5, 2010

Garden Goals in Review






On 12.31.09, I posted my Garden Goals for 2010.

Eight months later, I am planning Christmas cards and reviewing
those goals...





Here's a glimpse of my 2010 Gardening Goals:
1. Share my passion for gardening with children.
2. Grow more food for my family to experience.
3. Join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)
4. Start two "lasagna" garden beds.
5. Prepare my little garden for the 2010 garden tour.



1. Well, my children aren't that interested in gardening unless
there is money involved, honestly. So I pay Sam to help me in the
flower field and the pumpkin field in October! Otherwise, I'd like to
have a few small groups of children come visit the "pumpkin patch" in
October.
Also, I'm beginning a new project with The Golden Harvest Food Bank's
"Master's Table". There is room for a generous "kitchen garden"
where fruit and veggies can be grown to help feed guests at the new
site and at home. Plan to involve youth groups in the implementation
of this bountiful garden.

2. While not perfect, I have grown English peas, tomatoes, squash(crop failure),
more tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapeƱos, bell peppers and green beans this summer. Just planted
more green beans, cucumbers, sweet potatoes and eggplant.

3.I will sign up for Earthwise CSA as several Facebook friends
rave about the fresh produce and timely suprises they receive
each week. Delivered, even better!

4.Instead of 2 Lasagna Gardens, I designed one Lasagna Garden(LG) and 2 Square
Foot Gardens(SFG). Lessons learned: LG holds moisture much more effectively
than SFG, don't plant tomatoes in SFG- take up WAY too much room! Will try
large pots for fall crop. Watch out for Squash Vine Borer and other nasty squash bugs,
treat with Sevin dust if necessary. Whole crop wiped out early summer.

5.The Sacred Heart Garden Tour was a big hit. Although unable to tour other
gardens, I met hundreds(really! 350+) of kind hearted gardeners in my own little garden.
Sharing garden experiences is something that inspires and motivates me
to keep forging ahead in most areas of my life.



Blessings from the Garden.
ML




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...