Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Flower Harvest






Labor day weekend is always full of fun, friendship and flowers!I brought 4 buckets of flowers and broom corn home yesterday, then
prepared them for use at a local event this week. Thought I would share part of the
process of harvesting, conditioning, and storing freshly cut flowers.



It's best to harvest early in the morning or late in the afternoon out of the
mid-day sun and when stems have good water supply. I couldn't believe the water that came out of this broom corn(below).

Making the longest cut possible will give you opportunity to cut length as you need to while
arranging. Plunge stems immediately into cool water, then move to shady area or indoors...

Once I arrive home with my buckets of flowers, I cut stem ends again, then immerse
in fresh cool water and flower conditioner. Lots of recipes for flower conditioner, but I use a pre-made powder.

I store the flowers in the shade or in the shed where it's pretty cool inside. The broom corn here will be the "skeleton" for a fall arrangement this Thursday--Historic Augusta Wine & Antiques.


Blessings from the Garden.
ML

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...